We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
This shortbread recipe has been a Christmas favourite with my family and friends for years. The shortbread keeps very well in an airtight tin or tightly wrapped in foil.
24 people made this
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 425g plain flour
- 225g butter, softened
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice and salt. Divide into two equal parts, and set one aside. Add the flour and butter to the other half, and stir until blended. It should be slightly grainy.
- Press the dough evenly into a 20cm (8 in) square tin. Cut into 2.5x5cm (1x2 in) pieces using a knife, and prick with the tines of a fork. This will keep the shortbread from warping while baking. Sprinkle the reserved sugar and spice liberally over the top, brushing into all of the cuts and holes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden at the edges. Do not brown. Cool completely in the tin, and break into pieces along the lines to serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(22)
Reviews in English (20)
Very tasty. Spices were very nice. Texture was not quite right. Was perhaps a little too crumbly. And beware of the salty topping as described in the tweaks. But generally very nice biscuit. Very easy to make and recipe was excellent to follow.-28 Mar 2009
Ended up with a very dry biscuit with a thick spicy dusting, looked nothing like the picture which I suspect is a picture of a biscuit.-18 Dec 2014